‘I wish life was not so short,’ he thought. ‘Languages take such a time, and so do all the things one wants to know about.’ ~J. R. R. Tolkien
Distilling what we’ve learned so far
So, what have we learned? What do I want to be when I grow up? What do I wish for my life to be?
Doug and I feel it’s time for us to make a declaration to ourselves and to the world about what we wish our lives to be.
Doug is sometimes a useful monkey… Sometimes. Where he shines is in coming up with questions to help us define our wishes and desires, and turn them into concrete ideas.
So, I’m going to rub the monkey genie lamp and wish for the life I desire that’s been brought into focus through our past exercises.
Doug has come up with some fill in the blank statements that will aid us in pinning down our goals for contentment in life. Time to rub the lamp…
My wishes defined
- What do I wish to be?- I wish to be a creator, a guide and a facilitator for change in the lives of others. I want to help others find their own path to contentment. My creativity will be used to inspire growth, happiness and a new way of life for those who feel lost. I wish to combine my varied skills into one creative package and use it to encourage others to strive for their dreams.
- What is holding me back from this?– Fear and a lack of confidence were holding me back. I believe I’ve overcome them though, and will continue to make forward progress. What is holding me back now is a lack of contacts in my chosen path and no solid ideas on how to support myself with this wish (yet).
- How can I begin to turn this wish into reality?– I can study how others achieved success in similar business ideas and shape my efforts based on their successes. After I gain experience I can tweak my business model to better fit my efforts and desires.
- If I was brave, what would I do?- If I was brave (and I am) I would reach out to others to get advice and ideas to turn my wishes into a career. I would also make an effort to polish up my ideas into something that’s easily shared and followed by others. With this refined product, I could build an audience and spread hope to others.
- What do I need?- I need to create a map to turn my ideas into reality. I need to plan out the steps I need to take to make it all happen. I need to seek out guidance from those more experienced in business and marketing. I need to have a firm plan for progressing down my path to contentment.
- What Will I do?- I will seek out experts who can offer guidance. I will brainstorm about how to offer my ideas to more people. I will continue to examine myself and my dreams, and share this with others. I will continue to try to inspire others to live the life they dream of living…
Read over your notes from the previous exercises. If you’ve been following along, you should have a pretty good idea on where you want to be in life. Now it’s time to define this idea… Define, refine and make it firm.
Ask yourself the following questions to get a firm grasp on what you REALLY want to do with the rest of your life:
- What do I wish to be?
- How can I begin to turn this wish into reality?
- What do I need?
- What Will I do?
Spend some time thinking about your answers to these questions. If you get stuck, read over your previous exercises. It’s time to make decisions and to figure out how to carry them out. Wishing and dreaming have served their purposes, but now we must move on into reality.
Are you ready? Of course you are… What do you wish for your life to be?
- Wishes Are Unfulfilled Needs. (dougdoeslife.com)
- Anxiety Means New Opportunities Are Approaching! (dougdoeslife.com)
- Do You Wish Your Life Away? (thindifference.com)