If a man insisted always on being serious, and never allowed himself a bit of fun and relaxation, he would go mad or become unstable without knowing it.~Herodotus
Doug and I have shared our ideas about the importance of imagination when getting to know your true self.
We’ve provided some exercises to help develop the imagination as well as the different senses we’ll use for imagining.
Our next few posts will be about turning inward and getting to know who we really are.
This is where imagination and visualization come into play… We’re going to imagine our interior life, and the different aspects of ourselves who live there.
The first step on this path is learning to relax. Relaxation is important because it will allow us to shed the cares of the physical world and really connect with our interior self… The true self.
So, get ready to relax… Just don’t fall asleep!
Many of you probably have your own relaxation techniques, but if you don’t, the following exercise works well to get into a relaxed state.
- Find a quiet comfortable place where you won’t be disturbed. Turn the lights low or off. Sit comfortably or lay flat on your back.
- Take three deep breaths. Hold each breath for five seconds and release it fully. Feel the tension in your body being released with each breath.
- Feel the force of gravity work on your body. Picture each part of your body-your legs, your torso, your head- and feel gravity’s pull on it. Imagine your body being pulled towards the ground. Your body is rooted to the earth…
- Let gravity pull all resistance from your body. Feel it leaving in waves, as gravity drains it from you.
- Once you are free from stress and tension, turn to your thoughts. Notice that they are free from the effects of gravity, and they can float and move however you wish. Leave your physical body rooted to the earth, and follow your free floating thoughts…
Get ready to meet you
Practice this relaxation a few times… Doing it while in bed right before sleep is a sure way to get a full night of rest. Ty not to fall asleep though. We want to relax our body and release tension, not pass out!
We’ll be exploring our inner selves next… Prepare to be surprised by what you find…