The weird set an example for the rest of us. They raise the bar. They show us through their actions that in fact we’re wired to do the new, not to comply with someone a thousand miles away.- Seth Godin
Doug and I have been refining our sense of self, and what we have to offer the world. We’ve discovered who we are, what we have to offer, and defined where we want to go from here on out.
Now, we need to market ourselves and our talent. This doesn’t have to be about making money… Maybe you have skills to offer as a volunteer or just want to help others in some way. Marketing is what gets you noticed and appreciated… It’s what allows others see the value in what you have to offer.
Marketing is advertising yourself and your talents. You have to get the word out about who you are and what you do. How should you do this though?
The monkeys cometh
Doug and I came up with a few different ways to market ourselves. Obviously, this blog is our main drive.
Our overall plan is to get people to visit our blog and to become readers. That’s why we try to produce content that provides value for others.
How do we market this blog and get people to read? Like this:
- Participate-I read, follow and comment on a huge number of blogs. More than anything, this interaction brings readers to my blog, plus I get to meet lots of interesting people.
- Network-Some of the bloggers I follow are turning into collaborators. We’re talking, and brainstorming on how to help others and how to get our messages out there.
- Business cards- Yes, I had Doug cards printed up, as you can see below. Old fashioned face to face networking still works.
- Liknedin– I have a resume up here. You never know who may stumble upon your profile and need what you’re offering.
In addition to the above marketing efforts, Doug and I are on social media as well:
- Facebook: While we don’t spend a lot of time marketing on Facebook, our audience there is slowly growing. You can see our Facebook efforts here. All of our posts here automatically post to our Facebook page.
- Twitter: We do even less on Twitter than on Facebook, but, again, we have picked up a couple followers. Automatic posts from the blog here too…
- Pinterest- I post our inspirational pins to Pinterest and they always get lots of repins. Here’s our page.
- Reddit- Not really the crowd we’re trying to reach, but I often comment and post links if I feel that I can help someone… Plus it gets Doug’s name out there.
This is what we’re doing right now to spread our monkey-ness. There are other avenues available that we’re exploring. Do you have any suggestions to share? Let us know!
What can you do to get yourself and your talents out into the world? How can you spread the word about your offerings? Come up with a list of ways you can market yourself such as:
- business cards
- give aways/samples.
- Blog reading/commenting
- Whatever else you can think of. Be creative!
Are you using social media? If not why not? A few worth looking into are:
and many more. I recommend concentrating on just a couple of them that work for you. It’s impossible to have a strong presence on all social media, at least for these monkeys…
It’s up to ourselves to create a market for our talents. What are you waiting for?