I think the person who takes a job in order to live – that is to say, for the money – has turned himself into a slave. ~Joseph Campbell
Where do you fit in? Do you fit in?
Doug and I decided to focus on our work style. Career-wise, we all know what we’ve done in the past, what made us happy and what made us hate getting out of bed. But I never really thought much about what made one situation unbearable and another situation fun.
My new definition for myself is I’m a Creative Problem Solver… That’s a vague title that can be applied to lots of different fields and jobs. I like it that way. Being open allows for twists and turns on my path. Under what conditions will my new self thrive though?
Doug came up with some questions to ask me about my work style preferences. If you don’t have a stuffed monkey to help you out, you can ask yourself the questions below.
Let the interrogation begin!
- Do I feel more at ease working a salaried or guaranteed paycheck job?- Yes, I feel more secure, but I don’t feel happy doing it. It all goes back to fear… Fear of failure, fear of uncertainty, fear that I’m not good enough to make it on my own. In spite of the uncertainty, I will be more content working for myself.
- Do I prefer freelancing,consulting or being assigned work?- I believe I would prefer being a consultant of sorts. I like the idea of being the answer monkey (I know, still working on this… It stems from fear). I like creating without a lot of input from others. Part of me thinks creating products and offering them on the market may be the path for me (again)… I certainly don’t want to be assigned anything ever again,especially work!
- Why kind of schedule and structure do I prefer?- I like making my own schedule. My ideal situation would be where I can set blocks of time for work, depending on the day and what needs to be done. I don’t like being forced to do something and be somewhere the same every day… That destroys any creativity I might have woken up with. I currently use a stopwatch to keep track of the hours I work in a day. I set a goal and strive to meet it by bedtime.
- What type of work will allow me to express my skills and talents most effectively?- A hypothetical situation that suits my style is I turn my attention to the issue at hand, assess the situation and solve a problem. I can then guide others to solve their own issues,using new and non-dogmatic approaches... And creating stuff!
- Am I a team player or a loner?-I definitely prefer working alone. I don’t mind conferring with others, but I never again want to be in the position where someone else is making decisions for me. My future successes are better off being under my control alone… Yes, I’m a hardheaded, stubborn monkey…
It doesn’t take a detective to see that I’m not much of a team player. I like people, I enjoy interacting with others, but when it comes to creating, I’m a one monkey show. I do my best work alone, without distractions.
Once I have something produced, I can show it to others, accept input and refine the finished product ( I can, but I still don’t like to!).
How do you like to work? What’s your style? Ask yourself the following questions to narrow down your likes and dislikes:
- Do I feel more at ease working a salaried or guaranteed paycheck job?
- Do I prefer freelancing,consulting or being assigned work?
- Why kind of schedule and structure do I prefer?-
- What type of work will allow me to express my skills and talents most effectively?
- Am I a team player or a loner?
Review your answers. Where does your current job fit in with your likes and dislikes? Does this have anything to do with your level of contentment?